Chester-le-Street Heritage Group
The Grand Houses of Chester-le-Street & the Surrounding Area
There were many Grand Houses and significant buildings in the Chester-le-Street and surrounding area. Here are just some of the residences that have a history to tell.
THE HERMITAGE - The only one of “The Grand Houses” still standing today. Situated at the southern end of the town, in its own grounds, The Hermitage has been converted into luxury apartments, but is still an impressive building.
WHITEHILL HALL - Demolished in the 1960’s due to subsidence and vandalism, the site is now occupied by the Lingholme and Cragside estates along with the aptly named Whitehill Hall Gardens.
THE DEANERY - Originally built in 1286, and located to the east of the Parish Church of St. Mary’s & St. Cuthbert, this was demolished in 1906 to make way for the building of the Secondary Modern School, later to become the Grammar School. It was then renamed the Deanery School and is now known as Park View School.
COCKEN HALL - The earliest record referring to Cocken Hall is 1133 and since then it has passed through several owners and occupiers, including the Hilton’s and Carr’s.
It was for a time used as a Nunnery and during the 1st World War was taken over by Durham Light Infantry who used it as a Training facility. The hall was demolished in the early 1920s and little remains today to show that it ever existed.