Chester-le-Street Heritage Group
An Artists Impression
The picture opposite is an artists impression of what the finished memorial was expected to look like.
The pink granite stonework was imported from China and the engraving work was undertaken by stonemasons based in Scotland.
The New War Memorial
Artists depiction of the New War Memorial Design
The original War Memorial was unveiled in 1925 following the Great War of World War One and was located at the East End of the Market Place opposite the Primitive Methodist Church. This was quite a grand memorial for its time and underneath it included Ladies and Gentlemen’s Public Conveniences.
Following the demolition of the original War Memorial in the 1960s due to modernisation of the Market Place area and the misuse of the memorial and toilets, the name plaques were transferred by the Council to an area located at the rear of the Parish Church of St. Mary & St. Cuthbert, where they remain to this day.
A black Granite obelisk was installed in front of the Parish Church in honour of those who lost their lives during both World Wars, but there are no names recorded on this memorial.
The original War Memorial unveiled in 1925 was located at the east end of the present day Market Place.
The Black Granite Obelisk which stands opposite the Parish Church has no engraved names.
The name plates taken from the original War Memorial are located at the rear of the Parish Church.
Work has now been completed on the installation of the New War Memorial in the Market Place (Civic Heart).
From the photographs shown here, the scale of the new memorial can be appreciated.
The two photographs on the right were taken on Tuesday 4th November and show the granite panels installed.
The New Memorial includes the names of 453 service personnel from both World Wars, some of whom are not mentioned on other memorials in the area.
The New War Memorial installed and completed in the Market Place - Civic Heart
The New War Memorial under construction - 14th October, 2014
The Original War Memorial
Rear view of the New War memorial
First Remembrance Service held at the New War Memorial - 09/11/2014
The parade was led by the Scout Band
Followed by the Air Cadets
A large crowd had gathered for the Remembrance Service. Many of the service personnel displayed their medals ranging from World War 2, to The Falklands Campaign, Iraq and more recently Afghanistan.
The scene during the two minute silence and prior to the wreath laying by many Group’s, Institutions and Clubs.
Others taking part in the Parade were representatives of the D.L.I., Royal Navy, Army, Sea Cadets, Scouts, Boys Brigade, Girl Guides and St. John’s Ambulance
All assembled in the Market Place (Civic Heart).
Some of the wreaths that were placed on Remembrance Sunday - there’s more behind the Memorial.