Chester-le-Street Heritage Group

  c Copyright - Chester-le-Street Heritage Group


The Collieries Project - 2016/2017

Chester-le-Street Heritage Group have embarked upon a new project, this time concentrating on the Collieries of Chester-le-Street and the surrounding area.

The boundaries for the surrounding area of the project have yet to be decided, but these are expected to include, Great Lumley in the east, Chester Moor to the south, Sacriston to the west and Ouston to the north.


There was actually only one Colliery which came within the Chester-le-Street area and that was South Pelaw Colliery which was located just to the west of the present day Hilda Park housing estate.

Visit the Page to find out more …….


The next closest colliery was situated 2 miles South West of Chester-le-Street in the village of Waldridge and was known as Waldridge “A” Pit which opened in 1831 and operated continuously until it closed in April 1926.

Visit the Page to find out more …….


The sister colliery to Waldridge “A” Pit was Waldridge “D” Pit, with the shaft being sunk in 1874, opening in 1875 and was a 100 fathoms deep.

Waldridge “D” Pit closed in 1963 and the head gear was blown up in 1969 as part of the BBC “Germinal” film.

Visit the Page to find out more …….


Pelton Fell Colliery, also known as the “Low Pit” was a combination of three pits called the Brow Pit, Fan Pit and the North Pit. The colliery opened in 1835 and finally closed in 1965.

A major disaster occurred on Wednesday 31st October, 1866 when 24 men and boys lost their lives.

Visit the Page to find out more …….


The commercial extraction of coal was developed by John Lambton in the lands surrounding Lambton Castle (from which the colliery name was derived), through the Wear Valley. The first of seven pits was sunk in the village of Bournmoor from 1783 onwards, which together, were to make up what was known as Lambton Colliery.

Visit the Page to find out more …….


Nettlesworth and Kimblesworth are former mining villages located on the western side of the Great North Road, between Chester-le-Street and Durham.

The village of Nettlesworth was previously called Broadmires and consisted only of a few Terraced Rows.

There are no known photographs of Nettlesworth Colliery, the picture opposite was taken in 2017 which shows the only remains of what was the site of the colliery.

Your Help is Needed.

As all of the collieries in these areas have long since disappeared, the Heritage Group would like to collect as many memories as possible from Ex. Miners and their families. Ideally, contact should be made either via the Contact Us page on this website or by visiting our Heritage Group Meetings  or Drop-In Sessions which are are detailed on the HOME PAGE of this website.

South Pelaw Colliery

Visit the "South Pelaw Colliery" Page Visit the "Waldridge "A" Pit " Page.

Waldridge “A” Pit

Waldridge “D” Pit

Visit the "Waldridge "D" Pit " Page.

Pelton Fell Colliery

Visit the "Pelton Fell Colliery" Page Visit the "Lambton 'D' Colliery" Page

Lambton ‘D’ Colliery

The remains of brickwork on the site of

Nettlesworth Colliery

Visit the "Nettlesworth Colliery" Page