Chester-le-Street Heritage Group
Copyright Chester-le-Street Heritage Group - All rights reserved.
A Brief History of the Heritage Group
Chester-le-Street Heritage Group was formed in 1986, although its origins go back to the mid 1960s when it was known as Chester-le-Street Local History Society. The main activities of the Group are the study of local history issues, in particular Chester-le-Street and the surrounding area.
Our intention is to research and share information and knowledge relating to the history of Chester-le-Street throughout the ages. Wherever possible we aim to publish either in Newsletter, Book, CD or through this website, information that we feel may be of interest to amateur or professional historians, researchers into family trees or even those who only want to find out a bit more about our town.
In early August 2007, the Charity Commission confirmed that Chester-le-Street Heritage Group had been awarded Charity Status.
Registered Charity No: 1120080.
Mendip House undergoes demolition - 19/09/2016
This week sees the demolition of Mendip House on West Lane, which was previously a nursing home that closed earlier this year.
Built in 1959, Mendip House provided 28 beds which were all single rooms, but were not en-suite. The two story building also included spacious lounges and dining areas. In 2004, the care home developed an immediate care unit for 8 people.
A further page of information will be linked to this item shortly.
Civil War Skeletons to be re-buried
The remains of around 17 to 28 sets of skeletons which were discovered during the course of building works on Palace Green, Durham in 2013, are to be re-interred at Elvet Hill Cemetery.
The skeletons are those of Scottish prisoners who were captured at the Battle of Dunbar in 1650. They were apparently forced to march from south east Scotland to Durham City. Many died during the journey, some however escaped, but others were executed or died of disease or malnutrition while imprisoned.
It is possible that there are more mass graves lying uder the current University buildings.
Bowes Museum - Shoe: Pleasure & Pain Exhibition
From 11th June to 9th October 2016 an exhibition of “SHOES” organised by the Victoria & Albert is a display of historic and contemporary men’s and women’s shoes.
More than 200 pairs of shoes will be on show by 70 famous designers including: Christian Louboutin, Manolo Blahnik, Jimmy Choo, Christian Dior and Prada, many of the exhibits being from the V & A collections.
Park Road Filling Station - Revamped.
The revamped Park Road Filling Station was opened for business 24th February, 2016. The new BP premises includes a Marks & Spencer shop selling convenience goods, the Wild Bean Cafe, cash points and in addition to 6 fuel pumps being replaced they have also created 11 parking places together with other alterations.
Beamish Museum - £17m expansion approved
Beamish Museum have been granted planning permission to create two new major attractions covering periods of local history from the 1820s and the 1950s.
The 1950s area will be located at the far end of the current town centre opposite the Masonic Hall. The 1820s area will be nearer to the Pockerly Manor section of the museum. The major work that will be undertaken will include a street of Aged Miners Homes and Airey Houses, a Bus Depot, a Front Street Terrace, Police Houses, a Smithy, a Coaching Inn and an impressive full size Cinema. This should keep the visitors coming and provide many more areas of interest.
Dainty Dinah Memorabilia in St. Cuthbert’s Walk
Chester-le-Street Heritage Group have set up a mini exhibition of Dainty Dinah and Horner’s memorabilia in the vacant display windows at St. Cuthbert’s Walk shopping mall.
DLI Museum & Art Gallery Closed
The DLI Museum in Durham closed its doors for the last time on 31st March for the final time. The collections will be transferred to a storage facility Spennymoor. Durham County Council are proposing to then demolish the museum and sell the land for housing.
This follows the recent announcement that County Hall is to be moved to new headquarters at a cost of £50 million.
Auckland Castle - Restaurant Dome Approved.
Plans to build a domed restaurant in the former private gardens of the Bishop Of Durham at Auckland Castle have been granted by Durham County Council. The work will begin in September 2016 when the £10m scheme designed by Japanese Architects SANAA will involve the installation of large glass domes which is part of the £60m development of the Auckland Castle Site.
Bede’s World Saved!!
This remarkable tourist attraction was first opened in 1993 at a cost of £10m on a site which covers some 11 acres. The facility features a Museum, Replica Buildings and Farm Animals. It appears that the complex was no longer financially viable as a result, in part, to the cuts in Government funding and now South Tyneside Council who own the land and building are looking at a range of options in the hope that the site can be secured for the future. The good news is that the charity “Groundwork South Tyneside & Newcastle” has stepped in and will take over the running of the Museum and hopefully will save the jobs of 27 people. (March 2016).
Lottery Funding To Resurrect Hylton Castle
The historic “Hylton Castle” in Sunderland which has been described as a “Forgotten Gem” along with an old Fire Station have been awarded a £5.4m cash boost by the Heritage Lottery Fund. Hylton Castle which dates from the 14th Century, but stands today as an empty shell, is set to become a Community, Educational and Visitor attraction with a £2.9m grant and a further £1.5m from Sunderland Council. Sunderland’s old Fire Station is to receive £2.5m to make it into an Arts & Heritage Centre.
Lambton Estate £28.5m plans set to secure its future.
It appears that a planning application put forward to secure the future of the Lambton Estate is expected to receive approval. The plans included building around 400 (mainly executive) homes at the estate’s southern edge along with shops, offices and a community hub.The money raised would be used to restore the Grade II listed Lambton Castle, the Lamb Bridge and some of the stables. Biddick Hall located within the Lambton Estate, was the setting for the recently televised BBC drama production “The Paradise”.
A new book - A DURHAM MINER & HIS WIFE
This is the new book by Dorothy Rand. It tells the story of Jack and Bella Lawson, later Lord and Lady Lawson of Beamish. Jack was a miner and lived locally 1910-1965, he worked as a member of the DMA, as a County Councillor and as our MP to improve the working and living conditions of miners and other workers. He was known as "The Champion of the Working Man". Bella pioneered Child Welfare Clinics in County Durham after WW1. New information provides interesting accounts of local events, including the story of the Lawsons' adopted son Clive who was killed by the Beamish Bomb in 1942.
Mine Shaft found at Birtley School
During the course of redevelopment of Ravensworth Terrace Primary School in Birtley, workmen discovered an old mineshaft.
The mineshaft is suspected as being that of an old 18th Century colliery known as “The Prospect Pit”. Fortunately, the shaft is not in the area of the schools proposed new building, but before any further work can be carried out on the redevelopment, the shaft will be capped as soon as possible.
20 MPH speed limit for Mains Park Road.
Durham County Council have placed a notice advising that a 20 MPH speed limit is to be introduced for the full length of C183 Mains Park Road, C183 Church Chare, C183 Low Chare, Cone Terrace, Hawthorn Terrace, High Chare, Middle Chare, Springfield, River Terrace, The Anchorage, Wear Street, Rear Weardale Terrace and other sections of the C183, C184, C91 Ropery Lane, part of West Lane and the C184 Front Street. This is in addition to the Speed Humps already installed.
Volunteer Centre to be demolished & replaced with apartments
A Planning Application has be made with the proposal to demolish the Volunteer Centre on Osborne Road and build fourteen new apartments. The‘Centre’ is currently vacant and boarded up.
New £50m Council Headquarters Proposed
Durham County Council are considering investing £50m of tax payers money into new headquarters. Apparently the current building at Aykley Heads is considered to be oversized and inefficient in a report to be discussed by cabinet. The report also suggests that the move would create up to 6,000 jobs and could put £1m into Durham City’s economy.
Souter Lighthouse Restoration.
Souter Lighthouse which is located on the North East Coast near Marsden, South Shields is to receive £120,000 of renovation.
The lighthouse was the first in the world to be powered by electricity and was brought into service in 1871, with the metal & glass domed Lantern Room being installed in 1915. Now after 100 years the original diamond shaped glass panes and metalwork are to be renovated. The Lighthouse is run by the National Trust and the work is expected to take approximately 10 weeks to complete.
Serial Killer Mary Ann Cotton to be portrayed in New TV Drama .
A new two part drama due to be released in the new year is being produced by ITV telling the story of Mary Ann Cotton who has been described as the north east’s first serial killer. The drama entitled “Dark Angel” will star Downton Abbey’s Joanne Froggatt, who will play the part of Mary Ann Cotton. Mary Ann, was convicted of murdering three of her four husbands and may well have been responsible for the killing of a further 21 victims including her parents and some of her own children.
Mary Ann Cotton was born in 1832 in Low Moorsley, which was a small collection of streets on the outskirts of Sunderland and was hanged at Durham Gaol in 1873 after having been arrested at her home in Front Street, West Auckland.
The Chester Chronicle 1917 and 1918 Editions now available.
The Heritage Group have just completed the 1917 and 1918 Editions of the Chester-le-Street Chronicles which are now available on DVD. These digitised pages provide a fascinating insight into the period of the 1st World War and the effects it had upon our local community.
The new ‘Pelton Memorial’ unveiled Friday 20th March.
The new ‘Pelton Memorial’ has been installed opposite the entrance to the Lavender Centre in Pelton Village and was unveiled at 2pm on the afternoon on Friday 20th March, 2015. Kevan Jones MP, local Historian Dorothy A. Rand and Council dignitaries attended the unveiling.
Type in your keyword that you would like to search:
Click on the ‘underlined’ words to view the article:
Welcome to our “NEW” Website
Scrolling News Items
CAN YOU HELP?
Did you attend Chester-le-Street Grammar School in 1960?
Can you help identify the pupils and teachers in a collection of school photographs from Chester-le-Street Grammar School dating from the school year 1960? If so, we would very much appreciate your help. Just click on “View Photos” above to see the collection.
The Heritage Group meet in the Library on the 1st and 3rd
Wednesday evenings of each month at 7pm until 9pm.
The next Heritage Group Meeting will be held on:
Wednesday 5th October, 2016
A presentation of the Ward Phillipson Photo Archive.
This is a Public Meeting and you’re welcome to come along and join in
Members: £2.00 - Non-Members £3.00 - (First Time Visitors FREE)
(Free Tea/Coffee and Biscuits)
Click here to find out more:
Drop-In Sessions are held every Tuesday morning from
10am to 12 noon
in the Salvation Army Citadel on Low Chare.
The next Drop-In Session will be:
TUESDAY 4th October, 2016.
Bring your memories, old photographs and memorabilia
along, meet the Members and look through the Group’s
Archive of our town.
Free Tea/Coffee and Biscuits
Click here to find out more:
Charles Rollo Barrett JP.
Charles Rollo Barrett JP was a wealthy mining engineer who lived at Whitehill Hall and contributed much to the town and its people. He lost his son Lindsay in 1916, a victim of the First World War and he himself died suddenly a year later just two days before he was due to move to Pelaw House.
Meetings and Drop-In Sessions
Recently added articles
Interested in “LOCAL HISTORY” ? Need help with your RESEARCH?
Then why not join “CHESTER-LE-STREET HERITAGE GROUP”.
Just click on the button below to find out more:
GRAMMAR SCHOOL 1960 Photographs